Saint-Petersburg Institute of History annually publishes “Auxiliary Sciences of History”, a journal having a mark of the Scientific division on History and Philology of the RAS (Otdelenie istoriko-filologicheskikh nauk RAN) and Saint-Petersburg branch of the Archaeography commission of the RAS.
The periodical was established in 1937 by academician M.N. Tikhomirov and professor S.N.Valk and renewed after a break in 1968.
Collection of articles “Auxiliary Sciences of History” (Auxiliary historical disciplines / Vspomogatelnye istoricheskie distsipliny) publishes the results of studies of different types of written sources , art and material heritage of 6th – 21st centuries and rarely small publications of narrative and epistolary materials discovered at both domestic and foreign archives and libraries.
Nikolai Smirnov, Doctor of History, Professor
Tel. / Fax: (812) 235-41-98, tel. (812) 235-15-80, (812) 235-65-24.
Publisher “Dmitry Bulanin» http://dbulanin.ru/
D.Sc.in History N.N. Smirnov (Managing editor), Saint-Petersburg Institute of History of the RAS
D.Sc.in History E.K. Piotrovskaya (Managing secretary), Saint-Petersburg Institute of History of the RAS
Academician of the RAS V.L. Yanin, Moscow State University
D.Sc.in History M.P. Iroshnikov, Institute of History of Saint-Petersburg State University
Corr. Member of the RAS S.M. Kashtanov, Institute for Slavic Studies of the RAS
Corr. Member of the RAS I.P. Medvedev, Saint-Petersburg Institute of History of the RAS
D.Sc.in History S.V. Mironenko, State Archive of the Russian Federation
D.Sc.in History Z.V. Dmitrieva, Saint-Petersburg Institute of History of the RAS
D.Sc.in History M.B. Sverdlov, Saint-Petersburg Institute of History of the RAS
D.Sc.in History V.N .Pleshkov, Saint-Petersburg Institute of History of the RAS
D.Sc.in History A.N. Chistikov, Saint-Petersburg Institute of History of the RAS
Cand. of Sc. in History (Ph.D. ) A.V. Chirkova, Saint-Petersburg Institute of History of the RAS
Cand. of Sc. in History (Ph.D.) V.I. Mazhuga, Saint-Petersburg Institute of History of the RAS
D.Sc.in History E.D. Tverdyukova, Institute of History of Saint-Petersburg State University
The rules for the typescript submission, reviewing and publication in “Auxiliary historical disciplines” (Vspomogatelnye istoricheskie distsipliny):
- The articles can be filed to “Auxiliary historical disciplines” (Vspomogatelnye istoricheskie distsipliny) by both domestic and foreign scholars well-known by their works on history, philology and source studies and by members of the editorial board.
- Submitted texts must be genuine, unpublished in any other periodical. We welcome manuscripts of not more than 40 000 symbols of text (under 20 000 for post-graduate students). The article should be delivered in electronic copy.
- The name of the article, summary (abstracts) and keywords in both Russian and English.
- Information about the author/authors in both Russian and English: Name and Surname (patronymic if there is). Place of employment, position, academic degree and/or academic rank Contacts (mobile phone, e-mail)
- Only endnotes with continuous numbering are acceptable.
- Bibliography/References must be submitted in both Russian and English.
- UDC code must be put above and on the left of the name of the author. It has to be appropriate to the subject of the article
- Authors are responsible for both accuracy of all the data, quotes, names, place-names, etc. and absence of classified information unauthorized to publication.
- Illustrative material must be submitted only in “.tiff” or “.jpg” file formats with resolution 300 dpi or higher. Real dimensions of pictures have to be not less than 5*5 cm. The editor may refuse to publish insufficient illustrations.
- Standard procedure of reviewing and formation of every issue presumes that all the articles pass mandatory approval of the editorial board followed by confirmation of the Scientific council of Saint Petersburg Institute of History of the RAS.
- The articles sent to “Auxiliary historical disciplines” (Vspomogatelnye istoricheskie distsipliny) are accompanied by both internal and external reviews without fail.
- External reviewers are the leading historians from Saint Petersburg State University, other higher education institutions and academic establishment.
- Internal reviewers are the employees of Saint Petersburg Institute of History of the RAS and other specialists in corresponding sphere of science. All reviewers are acknowledged experts on the subject of peer-reviewed materials and have publications on peer-reviewed articles for the past 3 years. Reviews are stored in the publishing house and editorial office for 5 years.
- Typescript copy of whole future issue relevant to all the requirements and ready to publication accompanied by both internal and external reviews of the whole collection is submitted for consideration of Scientific council and then passes its confirmation.
- Editorial board has the right to select submitted articles and to reject those with inappropriate contents and design. Editorial board sends to the authors submissions or copies of reviews of a reasoned refusal, and also undertakes to send copies of reviews to the Russian Federation Ministry of Education and Science for admission to the editors of publication of the corresponding request